An air and missile defense crewmember is responsible for operating the avenger system, a lightweight, highly mobile weapon system that provides air defense protection against air and land attacks.
- Operate the AVENGER and Man Portable Air Defense System weapons systems
- Establish radio/wire communications and maintain situation maps
- Perform target engagement evaluations
- Operate “friend or foe” identification equipment
- Resupply ammunition and prepare systems for firing
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for an air and missile defense crewmember requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 10 weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instruction. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and in the field under simulated combat conditions.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Methods of computing target locations
- Ammunition-handling techniques
- Missile and rocket system operations
- Artillery tactics
- Interest in mathematics
- Physically and mentally fit to perform under pressure
- Ability to multi-task
- Interest in missile and rocket operations
- Capable of working as a team member
Required ASVAB Score(s)
Operators & Food (OF) : 85